PETERBOROUGH WAS A HERO OF THE 20TH CENTURY – A HISSING, STEAMING HUB OF MIGHTY LOCOMOTIVES SITTING AT THE CROSSROADS OF A GROWING NATION.
THE POWER OF STEAMTOWN
Each night, beneath the stars of the Southern Flinders, a light begins to glow beneath a mighty steam train. There’s a hiss of piston, a rush of steam, the cry of a guardsman – and an incredible industrial legacy slowly comes to life.
Peterborough’s Steamtown was once a vast rail operation where over 100 steam locomotives passed through each day before heading to all corners of Australia.
Today, that legacy is preserved – and you’re invited to experience it for yourself.
Guided tours of the 23 Bay Roundhouse run anytime for approx. 90 minutes between:
- 9am and 3pm 7 days a week (Mar-Oct)
- 10am and 11:30am weekdays (Nov-Feb)
- 9am and 10:30am weekends & Public Holidays (Nov-Feb)
Visitor Information Centre is open:
- 9am to 5pm 7 days a week (Mar-Oct)
- 9am to 4pm weekdays (Nov-Feb)
- 9am to 1pm weekends & public holidays (Nov-Feb)
Sound & Light Show runs nightly at:
- 7:30pm (Mar-Oct)
- 8:30pm (Nov-Feb) (6 minimum).
Online booking unavailable (Nov-Feb) until we reach minimum of 6.
Ring 8651 3355 for further details.